| 3 comments ]

Looking through a holiday catalog today birthed another blog topic. Namely? The madness behind pinatas. I mean, what ever made us think that it would be OK to hang up things that look like children's toys, beat them with a stick until they're broken and then expect kids to find that joyful?

All this pinata talk not only made me crave some Smarties, but it also reminded me of my stepdaughter's third or fourth birthday. Known from this point forward as THE PINATA EPISODE.

In a "hey I have a great idea" kinda way, we got a pinata. The traditional Mexican burro pinata. You know, like this:

Cute, right? Maybe too cute. In hind site? Not a good idea. We figured it out quickly when my stepdaughter screamed at the first hit with the stick, followed by much wailing and gnashing of teeth the rest of the evening. Come to think of it, a 4-year-old just might NOT have the ability to distinguish between reality and, uh, FAKE PINATA TISSUE. Hm. The things you learn parenting (and reason #3471 for her to go on the Oprah show).

Pinatas in general probably aren't a good idea for kids. I mean, what are we teaching them? Grab a stick, beat something down until it gives you what you want.

It's almost like an episode of Cops.


Anyway, here are some pinatas that went a little too far and/or may make kids appear on the Dr. Phil Show:


The Gingerbread Man? I'm still severely disturbed by Hansel and Gretel and I'm 28-years-old. (shut up)



I'm thinking all you people with cheerleader issues? Here's your chance for revenge...



Here Kitty...Kitty...Kitty (my husband would LOVE to take out his frustrations on this one, cat hater that he is).


How do you say "BEAT DOWN A BUFFY" in Spanish!??! (SERIOUSLY!?!? "Here honey, here's a stick, NOW KNOCK THE CRAP OUT OF LITTLE DORA'S HEAD!")



Santa for goodness sakes?!?! I see years & years of therapy in any kid's future who gets this pinata...


(BTW...don't think I didn't try my best to find naughty pinatas for all you pervs out there...).

3 comments

txsjewels said... @ 11:58 AM

last year my neice had a cinderella pinata. it was like watching the prom queen get raped with a stick. ick.
ramble on. i'll be back.
txsjewels.

How to Party with an Infant said... @ 1:03 PM

So funny--I actaully decided to have a pinata at my birthday. Time for the adults to get in on the action.

WritRams said... @ 3:46 PM

I think it's a fantastic idea to have them at adult parties. By then you know all of your issues well enough to take them out on the appropriate pinata! Plus, you can put fun and interesting "adult" stuff in them (wonder how a bottle of tequila would fair?!?).

Post a Comment