| 0 comments ]

My priorities are all screwed up. I'm not sure how it happened, or exactly when, but everything seems to be all out of whack. Lately, I've been feeling like...something's missing. I'm overwhelmed. I'm tired. I'm caught up in OPD (other people's drama, *No NOT you DL*) and other black holes of virtual nothingness. I used to feel like my skills were being utilized for SOMETHING (yes, I DO have SOME skillz).

I used to volunteer for a women's shelter.
We used to give regularly and generously to several charities.
We used to adopt families at Christmas.
Give to food baskets for Thanksgiving.

What happened?

Part of that is financial. We certainly don't have the resources that we used to. But what excuse is that not to volunteer? That costs nothing right? (Gas to drive there once per week or month)? It's sad that there always seems to be a million reasons not to help others.

Today I received an email that was a reminder of all the BIG NOTHINGS that I'm providing right now. Months and months ago (maybe even years), I had signed up for Volunteer Match reminders. They send you updates of volunteer opportunities that may be of interest. Usually? I delete them. (Because, hey, who has time for other people?). Today, for some unknown reason, I opened the email. I was surprised to find one listing. It was for my background and it was virtual.

ONE LISTING.
THAT I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO DRIVE TO.

If that doesn't speak volumes, I don't know what does.

VolunteerMatch has a website where you can actually search for volunteer opportunities in and around your area. From their website:

VolunteerMatch is a leader in the nonprofit world dedicated to helping everyone find a great place to volunteer. The organization offers a variety of online services to support a community of nonprofit, volunteer and business leaders committed to civic engagement. Our popular service welcomes millions of visitors a year and has become the preferred Internet recruiting tool for more than 50,000 nonprofit organizations.

Can't make it outside your home (like, um, you have a 7 month old or something)? They even have a specific area on their home page that allows you to search virtual volunteer opportunities by your keyword of interest.

Go ahead...what are you waiting for? Get up and do something...for someone else.
You won't be sorry.

0 comments

Post a Comment