| 3 comments ]

Let me just start off by saying that I'm a SODA girl - Diet Coke to be exact.
I've never been a huge fan of flavored drinks - I'm not keen on Koolaid, lemonade is OK, but I NEVER drink iced tea (for my southern friends, I shall give you a few moments to recover).

...

As you can imagine, Faygo has never been #1 on my list and a few days ago I found out why (aside from it being a sugary flavored drink):

According to the Faygo executives, they were the first people to introduce the word "pop" to be used instead soda.
One of my MAJOR pet peeves.
(Bastards).
(HELLOOOOO PEOPLE, it's SODA!).

Apparently, they named it after the "pop" sound Faygos made when you opened the can.
Wow.
The ingenuity.
Now, if this insanity isn't reason enough to stop calling SODAS pop, then I don't know what is.

Happy 100th Birthday Faygo.
You Suck.

3 comments

XUP said... @ 8:15 AM

In Canada we never call it soda -- always pop. When Americans come and ask for soda we think they mean soda water and then they're disappointed by the flavourless drink we give them and we think they're silly for wanting such a flavourless drink when there are so many delicious varieties of pop available

Michelle said... @ 9:04 AM

I hate both words. It's funny, because everything down here is "coke." Seriously, when I worked in the mall, people would order a coke and you have to ask "What kind?"

Nope. Not kidding.

Aimee said... @ 10:24 AM

Thanks for your comment. I am a soda girl myself. But I went to U of M where a huge amount of students are from the North East. Saying pop felt kind of, I dunno, country bumpkin?
And regarding Michelle's comment, I was twelve, asked for a coke and actually got heated with my server in a Kentucky restaurant when we went around and around like the "who's on first," thing.
But I diaagree, Rocken Rye truly does rock. And I too am a diet soda girl.

Post a Comment